Monday, 5 September 2011

A "GIVE ME A TOPIC" POEM

Here's the topic a follower suggested I might like to write a poem about.  If you have any ideas, do pass them my way




NO SOUVENIRE
No. Souvenir?  You promised you would!
i did want some tat from New York,
“A Present From Broadway”, or some such bad taste,
Or even a French champagne cork.


Wot, no sombrero?  No “kiss-me-quick” hat?
No rude seaside postcard, oh, shame!
No interesting pong from the duty free shop?
Now, that’s really not playing the game.


No t-shirt from Blackpool! I’m so deeply hurt,
Do you know, I might even cry,
No bracelet from Brighton, no beach towel declaring
In crimson, “SEE FRINTON AND DIE.”


But what really battered our friendship to bits,
And came as somewhat of a shock;
The one thing I asked for and what you forgot,
Was a stick of pink peppermint rock.


2 comments:

Patsy Collins said...

I like it, Rosamund! (Still don't like souvenirs though!)

Rosamund Browne said...

Thanks, Patsy. No, I don't like souvenirs either, but I've got sticks of rock from all over the place. Some people tend to take,"bring me back a stick of rock" seriously.

I do like your tartan, by the way.